Making a Difference for Christ

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Mexico...how it changed my life!!!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
beautifuleyes

PostSubject: Mexico...how it changed my life!!!   Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:59 pm

Hey my peoples, this is my lil heart thing about Mexico, how it changed me, and where my outlook on life is today. So enjoy! <3<3<3

Nogales Mexico 2008

Have you ever had a defining moment in your life? Something that you never ever will forget, something that changes your perspective on life, something that gives outlook a whole new meaning? My trip to one of the poorest slums of Mexico, Nogales, did that and much more for my secure view of life! Going from air conditioning, flushing toilets, lots of room space, tons of clothes, to living in a room half the size of my own with 10 other girls, living out of my suitcase, getting water to flush the toilet my self, and drinking as much as I could hold to try and keep the heat at bay, was a drastic change of situations! But, surprisingly I loved ever minute, ok well maybe not ever minute; there were some hard things, but I am getting ahead of myself, let me tell you the story of how I got there.

Two weeks before September 3rd, our departure date Mr. Burish, head teacher of the 8th grade class at the local Christian school, called me to ask if I would come on the 8th grade trip to Mexico as a Jr. councilor. I had mixed feelings! How was I going to juggle missing school and dance, and all these other trips that I wanted to go on, “hmmmm I just don’t know.” I prayed a lot about it and felt that God wanted me there. I never could have imagined everything He would do! So before I knew it God had me on a plane with 18 other people ready to dive into-----I really had no idea what

So there I was in Nogales Mexico. A normal day would look like this, we would get up at seven, eat breakfast at 7:30 ish, do the dishes, wash the bathrooms, cleanup, etc depending on your group job, then we would have chapel and leave for the worksite around 9:30 or 10. Lunch would be at 1ish, chapel afterward, and then siesta, the most coveted time of the day. 4 pm we were out there again working another three-hour shift until dinner called at 7ish. After clean up and chill time we would have evening chapel to close out the day and then small groups. Ok and just to clue you in on all the “ishes” time in Mexico is ‘but a sense’ as my sweet friend Zoë so perfectly put it. Everything just goes the way the wind goes, nice and easy. There’s no rush, no distractions calling, everything is just…. peaceful, totally completely peaceful!

If I could describe Mexico in two words I would simply say, breathtakingly beautiful. I am the kind of person that looks for beauty in everything and although I know Mexico is a story with both good and bad in its making the breathtaking beauty was overwhelming. Even as I write this, my heart is full! I would look around at the shacks smaller than my room that whole families would live in and be overwhelmed by the contentment these people have! The smiles of the children just took my breath away. They were so happy and joyful and playful, and my friends, they have nothing! Nothing at all but each other! When we left I sat on the plane and cried thinking of that fact! It made me want to give up Christmas and so much that I have! But, to be honest I almost envied them. They seemed so content and the community that they all share was beautiful! Everyone knew each other and treated each other as family! I can honestly say it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen!

The people in this 8th grade class were just incredible! We had so many talks, so many laughs, so many memories that we created! But, I will say the most bonding time I had with these kids was when we had an extended worship chapel time for anyone who wanted to come. No one was pressured, and not everyone came. About 8 of us showed up in the small candlelit chapel. The scene was set as Jason strummed the guitar and then began to worship. When we started singing a song called “Exalted” two big tears made their way down my face. The chapel was soon filled with tears that the Lord treasured! As I was sitting there I was crying out to God, not understanding why there were so many people who didn’t know Him, why these people didn’t have what we have! They didn’t choose their family…I didn’t understand…I don’t understand all of it but God gave me a sense of peace that night! And before I knew it I was praying out loud in that chapel for the valley, pleading for every soul! Prayers began flowing and as they did the tears got heavier and God presence was so there! My words could never capture everything that God did in that chapel…I can only say hearts were changed forever! One girl said through tears, “I never understood fanatic Christians before...now I do,” Many of them said that they had never felt so close to God before in their lives!!!! It was that expirence that really released us to fly for Jesus in that place! It drew us closer, and pushed us closer to the Lord…it was a collection of moments that I will treasure as long as I live on this earth!

We shared so much laughter too! Playing with the kids, laughing with Caroline about a kid we both fondly called beautiful eyes, running around with about 12 little boys calling and being called loco (crazy), dancing with the kids, feeding them, reading to them, loving them, couch talks with Hannah (Haha ok every night we would always sit on the couch and talk and we named it that as a joke), talking about knowing Gods calling on our lives, the Hannahnator team (another joke---there were two Hannah’s working on the same site and Mr. Burish said that he had the most fun he’s had in a long time working with us and the boys), Omara this sweet 12 year old kid that would always work with us and hang out with us even though language was a barrier sometimes, singing every song we knew together and laughing so hard when we got them stuck in our heads all day long and just got them out when someone would start it again, trying to speak Spanish---yeah-----no haha, sharing our thoughts about life and cold showers, sponge fights in the middle of dishwashing, learning that gwapo means cute (), and so many more laughs!!!

Leaving Mexico was one of the saddest things that I have had to do! I didn’t think I would cry and I didn’t until we were up in the air and gone. I was by my self and all of a sudden I just started to cry! Leaving all the people, all the work, all the memories, all the good times! But, I know that God has Nogales in His hands! He’s holding it and watching it, and He always will be! All I can do is be clay in His hands, going where He wants me to go! I pray with all my heart that my road of life leads me back to Nogales once again! I will never ever forget what happened there! It was a defining week in my life and I honestly believe that I will never live the same way again!

I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xdreamingHisdreamsx

PostSubject: Re: Mexico...how it changed my life!!!   Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:11 am

Wow Hannah, that was suh a beautiful story. I had the privilege of taking a trip myself this summer and it was the best experiance of my life. No one can say sharing God's love isn't our job, they have obviously never taken a mission trip. Smile They are such amazing wonderful things and if God is your travel agent it is so perfect. I had so much change inside of me on my trip and it sounds like you did too. I have such a heart for kids and that sounds like wonderful work you did. (The funny thing is the "work" isn't work is it?) That was a really cool part about my trip is that everyone looked out for eachother and not themselves only. Anyway, I have to go but what was your work site? j/w Thank you so much for sharing. Emily
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beautifuleyes

PostSubject: Re: Mexico...how it changed my life!!!   Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:28 am

Hey dreaminghisdreams, yeah it did change my life. Omgosh and what you said about the work not being work....hahahaha it is so true! Its like you are so wrapped up in helping others that you totally forget about the work and yourself and yeah its pretty much amazing! I was in Negoles Mexico at a beautiful little place called Currium House. It is pretty amazing cause it is in the middle of these squatter homes and looks like eveything else on the outside but on the inside its like a monestary...really beautiful! SO yeah thats where i went. Where did you go?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paris/Gods Angel

PostSubject: Re: Mexico...how it changed my life!!!   Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:01 pm

I'm so glad for u and how it changed your life.Mabye god planned this one as an eye opener/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://yahoo.com
~*blue_monday*~

PostSubject: Re: Mexico...how it changed my life!!!   Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:54 pm

beautifuleyes wrote:
Hey my peoples, this is my lil heart thing about Mexico, how it changed me, and where my outlook on life is today. So enjoy! <3<3<3

Nogales Mexico 2008

Have you ever had a defining moment in your life? Something that you never ever will forget, something that changes your perspective on life, something that gives outlook a whole new meaning? My trip to one of the poorest slums of Mexico, Nogales, did that and much more for my secure view of life! Going from air conditioning, flushing toilets, lots of room space, tons of clothes, to living in a room half the size of my own with 10 other girls, living out of my suitcase, getting water to flush the toilet my self, and drinking as much as I could hold to try and keep the heat at bay, was a drastic change of situations! But, surprisingly I loved ever minute, ok well maybe not ever minute; there were some hard things, but I am getting ahead of myself, let me tell you the story of how I got there.

Two weeks before September 3rd, our departure date Mr. Burish, head teacher of the 8th grade class at the local Christian school, called me to ask if I would come on the 8th grade trip to Mexico as a Jr. councilor. I had mixed feelings! How was I going to juggle missing school and dance, and all these other trips that I wanted to go on, “hmmmm I just don’t know.” I prayed a lot about it and felt that God wanted me there. I never could have imagined everything He would do! So before I knew it God had me on a plane with 18 other people ready to dive into-----I really had no idea what

So there I was in Nogales Mexico. A normal day would look like this, we would get up at seven, eat breakfast at 7:30 ish, do the dishes, wash the bathrooms, cleanup, etc depending on your group job, then we would have chapel and leave for the worksite around 9:30 or 10. Lunch would be at 1ish, chapel afterward, and then siesta, the most coveted time of the day. 4 pm we were out there again working another three-hour shift until dinner called at 7ish. After clean up and chill time we would have evening chapel to close out the day and then small groups. Ok and just to clue you in on all the “ishes” time in Mexico is ‘but a sense’ as my sweet friend Zoë so perfectly put it. Everything just goes the way the wind goes, nice and easy. There’s no rush, no distractions calling, everything is just…. peaceful, totally completely peaceful!

If I could describe Mexico in two words I would simply say, breathtakingly beautiful. I am the kind of person that looks for beauty in everything and although I know Mexico is a story with both good and bad in its making the breathtaking beauty was overwhelming. Even as I write this, my heart is full! I would look around at the shacks smaller than my room that whole families would live in and be overwhelmed by the contentment these people have! The smiles of the children just took my breath away. They were so happy and joyful and playful, and my friends, they have nothing! Nothing at all but each other! When we left I sat on the plane and cried thinking of that fact! It made me want to give up Christmas and so much that I have! But, to be honest I almost envied them. They seemed so content and the community that they all share was beautiful! Everyone knew each other and treated each other as family! I can honestly say it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen!

The people in this 8th grade class were just incredible! We had so many talks, so many laughs, so many memories that we created! But, I will say the most bonding time I had with these kids was when we had an extended worship chapel time for anyone who wanted to come. No one was pressured, and not everyone came. About 8 of us showed up in the small candlelit chapel. The scene was set as Jason strummed the guitar and then began to worship. When we started singing a song called “Exalted” two big tears made their way down my face. The chapel was soon filled with tears that the Lord treasured! As I was sitting there I was crying out to God, not understanding why there were so many people who didn’t know Him, why these people didn’t have what we have! They didn’t choose their family…I didn’t understand…I don’t understand all of it but God gave me a sense of peace that night! And before I knew it I was praying out loud in that chapel for the valley, pleading for every soul! Prayers began flowing and as they did the tears got heavier and God presence was so there! My words could never capture everything that God did in that chapel…I can only say hearts were changed forever! One girl said through tears, “I never understood fanatic Christians before...now I do,” Many of them said that they had never felt so close to God before in their lives!!!! It was that expirence that really released us to fly for Jesus in that place! It drew us closer, and pushed us closer to the Lord…it was a collection of moments that I will treasure as long as I live on this earth!

We shared so much laughter too! Playing with the kids, laughing with Caroline about a kid we both fondly called beautiful eyes, running around with about 12 little boys calling and being called loco (crazy), dancing with the kids, feeding them, reading to them, loving them, couch talks with Hannah (Haha ok every night we would always sit on the couch and talk and we named it that as a joke), talking about knowing Gods calling on our lives, the Hannahnator team (another joke---there were two Hannah’s working on the same site and Mr. Burish said that he had the most fun he’s had in a long time working with us and the boys), Omara this sweet 12 year old kid that would always work with us and hang out with us even though language was a barrier sometimes, singing every song we knew together and laughing so hard when we got them stuck in our heads all day long and just got them out when someone would start it again, trying to speak Spanish---yeah-----no haha, sharing our thoughts about life and cold showers, sponge fights in the middle of dishwashing, learning that gwapo means cute (), and so many more laughs!!!

Leaving Mexico was one of the saddest things that I have had to do! I didn’t think I would cry and I didn’t until we were up in the air and gone. I was by my self and all of a sudden I just started to cry! Leaving all the people, all the work, all the memories, all the good times! But, I know that God has Nogales in His hands! He’s holding it and watching it, and He always will be! All I can do is be clay in His hands, going where He wants me to go! I pray with all my heart that my road of life leads me back to Nogales once again! I will never ever forget what happened there! It was a defining week in my life and I honestly believe that I will never live the same way again!

I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you

Oh, wow! That is so cool. I'm so glad you had a good experience. Do you know how many people's hearts you touched? That is so great!

Keep on rockin' for God!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mexico...how it changed my life!!!   

Back to top Go down

Mexico...how it changed my life!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MAD 4 Christ :: Make a Difference :: Your Gifts-
Jump to: