Share | 

Growing to be Like Jesus Intro

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Molly
Admin

PostSubject: Growing to be Like Jesus Intro   Thu May 08, 2008 1:03 pm

Growing to be Like Jesus: Introduction

For our first study, we're going to be going through the book Growing to be Like Jesus by Doug Fields and Brett Eastman. It's a book designed for small groups, so we're going to need lots of participation and discussion for this to work. I'll be updating only once a week, so that gives all of us time to have a good discussion about every topic in the book. Keep in mind that at any time we can go back and discuss previous topics. I'll just be updating every week.

According to the book, this is what it's all about:
"Growing to be Like Jesus teaches about discipleship. You have questions about God and how Scripture applies to your situation and how Jesus can make a difference in daily life. This book deals with those questions (and others, such as, How can we make a difference for Jesus?) Here, woven through the sessions, are new and fun ways to match your brain's work with your heart's desire to follow Christ and care for others."

I thought it went along great with the theme of our website: how we can make a difference for Christ. I hope that through this study we'll come up with practical ideas to do just that and also answer some questions that we all have about our relationships with Christ.

But here's a few questions to get us started. Please reply with your answer.

Who or what inspires you to make a difference for Christ? When do you feel the closest to Him? When do you feel the farthest from Him? Why do you think that is?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://agirlsjourneywithGod.blogspot.com
Andrew

PostSubject: Re: Growing to be Like Jesus Intro   Thu May 08, 2008 2:31 pm

well what inspires me to make a difference is when i read the bible and i get all fired up and reflect on how great god is. i feel closest to god when i'm going through tough times and i really call out to him for help. i feel the farthest from god when i know and strongly feel that god wants me to do something and i dont becuz i'm lazy or worry about what they may think of me. i think that is because at the time i am so unwilling to let god work in my life
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HepKitten

PostSubject: Re: Growing to be Like Jesus Intro   Fri May 09, 2008 12:54 am

I like these little studies with the questions, because it inspires a lot of discussion. We do it at the Bible study group I go to. Smile

What inspires me, I guess you could call it "inspires" though it's not exactly positive, to work for Christ is when I see and hear people being deceived. Sometimes I heard people say something like "Well, I'm not a Christian because they believe in *this*" and it's something totally off the mark that I just slap my forehead. So it makes me really want to learn as much as I can about God's Word so I can help to teach others, Christian or otherwise. I feel closest to God when studying His Word and realizing how legitimate it is. Because, okay, a lot of people, like the "carnal" Christians that people talk about I guess, kind of live in this world where their religion is just kind of a fantasy and something to go to whenever convenient, as if God's Word really doesn't mean much. But I mean I feel closest to God when I'm reading it and everything's clicking and it's just like confirming again, you know, this is the real thing. I think that makes sense lol. When I feel farthest from God is when I'm caught up in routine, you know, like in daily life, and you just kind of go along and put God last. I think God kind of eases up on the comfort and says "Okay, you're leaving me, you're straying out of the comfort zone" and we feel just "blah" until we come back to Him. Well, that was a long answer lol. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.xanga.com/lady_falconer
Karah

PostSubject: Re: Growing to be Like Jesus Intro   Tue May 13, 2008 11:22 pm

Ooh this looks good! Okay...
Who or what inspires you to make a difference for Christ? I'd have to say some people at church really inspire me. Also my mom, and my close friends. =) As for WHAT inspires me...I'd have to say hearing stories about people doing things for God, and healings and miracles. That really inspires me to want to do those things too! It also raises my faith level.
When do you feel the closest to Him? Probably at church or when being prayed for/praying for others.
When do you feel the farthest from Him? When my dad is around at home...
Why do you think that is? Probably because we fight a lot...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darla

PostSubject: Re: Growing to be Like Jesus Intro   Thu May 15, 2008 11:20 pm

I think that I'm at a point right now that I dont know what inspires me. I think I get in ruts sometimes when I don't want to have anybody inspire me. But when somebody does it would have to be my pastor for his wisdom or my friend the way I can look up to her and she always is there for me. And no she won't always give me the answer I'm looking for in a situation but its the one that I know is right. But she inspires me for her wisdom in Christ. And I look up to her for who she is because shes such a strong Christian and I want to have a relationship with God like hers. I feel the closest to God when I've just read the Bible. Or something happens in my life and I know that it was a God thing. I feel the farthest from God when I haven't read the Bible. Or even communicated with him for a little while which im sad to say that it happens often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
davidc
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Growing to be Like Jesus Intro   Fri May 16, 2008 12:16 am

There are a few things that would make me want to make a diffenrce... my parents and how the do things here and tthere to encouage me.. things i see all around, like people without homes, or people in other countries that don't know about christ. Stuff like that just makes me what to do something... i have even gotten upset because i'm not able to do more right now, ya know. I would have to say i feel the closer to God when i'm sitting on my bed doing Devos or even listening to some music.... just quiet times like that.. I always feel distant from God when i'm watching to much tv or playing video games... i use to play games all the time... but they where hurting my walk with God because I focused on them way too much!!! but every now and then i do, and i always feel more distant when i do....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Molly
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Growing to be Like Jesus Intro   Sun May 18, 2008 8:42 pm

Wow guys, great answers. Thanks for answering honestly. =] I think this is going to be a great study to go through together.

I'd have to say what inspires me to make a difference is when I see hurting people, especially teens or older people. It's like I want to DO something so bad to help these hurting, lost people... I have a passion to do that and when I see people hurting, it inspires me to make a difference. My pastor and Nancy Leigh DeMoss also inspire me. I feel farthest from Him when I ignore Him and don't read my Bible or talk with Him for a while. I think the reason for that is because I've chosen to place other things before Him and it comes between our relationship. My heart gets cluttered with other things and people and I choose not to spend time with Him... and I feel far from Him. I feel closest to God when I'm writing to Him in my journal, reading my Bible, talking with Him, or listening to music. I feel so close to Him when I just bask in His presence and the silence... I think the reason goes along with Psalm 46:10, "Be still and know that I am God". When I'm still before God, just listening for His voice and His answers in situations, I feel so close to Him. I also feel close to Him after I've obeyed Him in something that He's prompted me to do.

I'll be moving on with the study soon, but feel free to keep up this discussion if you have anything else to add. Thanks to those who answered!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://agirlsjourneywithGod.blogspot.com
timmyC

PostSubject: Re: Growing to be Like Jesus Intro   Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:01 pm

the main thing that inspires me is when i think of Jesus and what He did for me...when i think of how holy He was and is king , and how disgustingly sinful i was and am No , i can't help but be grateful cheers for His sacrifice for me. when i see what Jesus saved me from and where i will go now that i am redeemed, i want to go out and share that good news with my friends, neighbors, relatives, and whoever. you see, Christ died and paid this huge price so that us sinful humans could be reconciled to God, because of that, He DESERVES people to accept His gift, and He deserves all the glory and honor that we can give Him. for example, when i go to a store and pay for something, say a donut, i deserve to be given that donut because i paid the full amount needed for that donut. that store clerk is obligated to give me that donut. in the same way, Jesus paid for our souls with His Blood. we are obligated to give Him our soul, heart, mind, and life. if i bought a Ferrari, that car would bring me glory, right? yes! people would look at me in my Ferrari and say, "wow! that guy is rich! i want to be his friend!" God considers us great treasures! treasures give their owners glory! Children of God need to give God the glory that He deserves!
whether its telling others about what Christ did for you, or standing up for your faith when someone mocks God. or even encouraging a friend in the Lord. or especially worshipping God in your room when no one is looking (if you have a hard time with trying to look good in front of people). Whatever we do, we need to have to mindset of giving God glory. it's a hard mindset for me to have because i am proud and self-centered! but when i realize and admit that i am proud and need Gods help, that is when God helps me!
i hope this encourages somebody. i was encourage while i was writing it, by simply thinking about it and what God has taught me!
God bless!
~timmyC
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wcfs.edu
Emily

PostSubject: Re: Growing to be Like Jesus Intro   Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:37 am

Who or what inspires you to make a difference for Christ? My friend Lisa inspires me a lot by just hearing differnt things the Lord is doing in her life. Also a few other friends of mine.

When do you feel the closest to Him? I feel closest to God when I am reading my Bible {especially Psalms} or when I'm serving Him by doing things for others.

When do you feel the farthest from Him? I feel farthest from Him when I don't do my devotions, or pray. When I get into a rebellious stage like I'm coming out of currently.

Why do you think that is? Because I'm not focusing my life on Christ.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pebblesdailythoughts.blogspot.com
Paris/Gods Angel

PostSubject: Re: Growing to be Like Jesus Intro   Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:24 pm

This is going to be a good study Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation We should all want to be like him Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://yahoo.com
xdreamingHisdreamsx

PostSubject: Re: Growing to be Like Jesus Intro   Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:54 pm

I have never read this book, but I can still answer the question..
I am most inspired when i see God working through me or through others. It's kind of a contagious thing for me. I am driven to do his work when I see a hurting teen or a child that needs love. People inspire me to do what God calls me to do. Also, I have this friend and she always strives to do what's right and make herself a better role model and a better child of God, marshmallow.
I feel closest to God when I am having a hard time or when someone has let me down because I cling to Him and have to rely fully on Him.
I feel farthest from God when everything is going good. I forget the reason why everything is going good, and I stray away from Him.
I love you Emily
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Growing to be Like Jesus Intro   

Back to top Go down

Growing to be Like Jesus Intro
Page 1 of 1